We’re here with practical legal information for your business. Learn about employment law, company law and more.

Setting up a business involves complying with a range of legal requirements. Find out which ones apply to you and your new enterprise.

While poor governance can bring serious legal consequences, the law can also protect business owners and managers and help to prevent conflict.

Whether you want to raise finance, join forces with someone else, buy or sell a business, it pays to be aware of the legal implications.

From pay, hours and time off to discipline, grievance and hiring and firing employees, find out about your legal responsibilities as an employer.

Marketing matters. Marketing drives sales for businesses of all sizes by ensuring that customers think of their brand when they want to buy.

Commercial disputes can prove time-consuming, stressful and expensive, but having robust legal agreements can help to prevent them from occurring.

Whether your business owns or rents premises, your legal liabilities can be substantial. Commercial property law is complex, but you can avoid common pitfalls.

With information and sound advice, living up to your legal responsibilities to safeguard your employees, customers and visitors need not be difficult or costly.

As information technology continues to evolve, legislation must also change. It affects everything from data protection and online selling to internet policies for employees.

Intellectual property (IP) isn't solely relevant to larger businesses or those involved in developing innovative new products: all products have IP.

Knowing how and when you plan to sell or relinquish control of your business can help you to make better decisions and achieve the best possible outcome.

From bereavement, wills, inheritance, separation and divorce to selling a house, personal injury and traffic offences, learn more about your personal legal rights.

Social media use causes conflict at work

21 March 2018

Social media use causes conflict at workMost small businesses now have a social media policy in place but new research finds that there is a significant difference between what managers expect and what employees actually do.

A study by Digimax has found that 72% of SMEs have an active social media policy in place for their staff. However, only a quarter (28%) of employees say that they are happy with their employer's stated policy.

The findings show that few employees are sticking to the rules when it comes to social media - although 36% of employers say that they don't allow personal use of social media during work hours, 74% of workers say that they regularly check their accounts at work.

Digimax reports that, on average, Brits have 7.6 active social media accounts and spend 116 minutes a day looking at them.

Although 18% of those that use social media during business hours say it is work-related, that still leaves 82% that admit that they are using social media purely for their own entertainment.

The findings also reveal that 81% of employers believe that their employees' online content can have a detrimental effect on their business brand, because of inappropriate comments or behaviour. Because of this, 33% of small business managers say they regularly check their employees' social media content. Nine out of ten employees believe that this is intrusive behaviour.

Shaz Memon, Digimax ceo, said: "Social media has become such an integrated part of modern life that most people use it without even thinking. And that's the difficulty for employers. If a prominent staff member says or does something they maybe shouldn't on their social media pages, it does have the potential to have a negative impact on a business.

"Employees using social media isn't, in my view, necessarily a bad thing and can even be used to a business's advantage, especially when it comes to spreading the word on new products or promotions. But as with everything I believe there has to be a balance and with SMEs enforcing their company policies it's a great way to get transparency to ensure both parties are happy."

News type: